Friday, September 2, 2011

Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity

 This week during class we used two websites that were new to me. We used PollEverywhere and Wordle.These two websites were linked together where we were able to collaborate with the rest of the class. First we set up a Polleverythere account and let the rest of the class use their cell phones or their computer to answer specific questions we set up on our blog. Then from these responses we went to Wordle and inserted these answers in Wordle which then picked out the most common used words and made them the biggest followed by the other most used words that would get smaller and smaller with every other word used in the amount they were used from greatest to least. This enabled us to to get to know others in the class by their answers.

  My goal in life is to become a math teacher, but when I think about useing Wordle or PollEverywhere at first I thought how in the heck can I use either one of these? Thinking hard I remembered there are vocabulary words in math. Using PollEverywhere I could give my students a quiz or test using this tool. I could put a deffination up on the screen and using their cell phones or computers they could send me their anwer. I feel that this would be a good way to get students to study for their test or quiz and really keep them interested in math and not wanting to skip becuase they didn't study for their test. Then using Wordle I could use the answers I got to help me understand exactly how many of my students got the answer correctly. Then with that data I would be able to see from everything what students aren't really understanding and hit those words again.

Using the PollEverywhere tool could help me to get a feel for exactly how much my students are understanding. I could send a out a poll asking students what they don't get about the information we are going over. Then students could be crative and get together and make a Wordle telling me what they need help on. With this information I could see exactly what I need to go through and clarify for my students.

2 comments:

  1. Outstanding ideas for using Poll Everywhere and Wordle in math! Here is another one:

    Wordle is one of the most beautiful ways to visualize frequency distributions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the ideas you have come up with. That is such a great idea. I think if students could use their cell phones during class there would be a more likely of them showing up.

    ReplyDelete