"Are instant messaging and text messaging killing language? To hear what the popular media say, a handful of OMGs (oh my god) and smiley faces, along with a paucity of capital letters and punctuation marks, might be bringing English to its knees." (baron, 2009)
Reaction
All through school when turning in papers I could remember teachers saying things such as, "Leave that text message talk out of your paper or your getting an F!"I never really thought anything of it because where I am from we don't have cell phone service. We hardly even have good enough internet connection to be on Facebook for more then a couple minutes. So it's hard to understand this whole text message lingo when I see it, but since i've moved to Fairmont I am beginning to see exactly how it works little by little.
Reading this article really opened my eyes to see exactly how text message lingo is steadily working its way into every day language. A couple years ago if someone would have looked at me and said BRB I would have had probably thought they were insulting me in some way. But getting in the swing of texting and instant messaging I see so many acronyms that I generally have no idea what they mean. So I do believe that one day the statement above will be true. I do believe that eventually as the younger kids now grow up text talk will take over many words in the English language.
The acronyms people use such as LOL are so much easier then writing the whole thing out. It takes less time and is simply the fastest way to say what you need to say. Thats what our generation kids are wanting.. the easiest way out. Getting things done quickly because they believe they have better things to do with their life then sit and write a 3 page paper. From the article I read it seems that eventually these kids are going to completely change their attitude about the English language. It's going to eventually be thrown out all together.
As I was reading I found that the text talk isn't that bad right now. College students might slip in a BRB or LOL every once in a while, but they aren't really bad about it. What they are bad about is just hitting spell check and not actually taking the time to see what they spelled or even what they changed the word to. Technology makes things so easy we don't even have to think twice and our computer is changing the word for us. Kinda creepy if you think about it.. the computer knows more then you do!
All in all it might not be today or tomorrow but eventually text talk is going to be whats going into papers for school. At first it might just slip but eventually it's just going to be habit. Along with it will come no periods or capital letters. Because thats simply what we are coming accustomed to. It's what we do every day!
Related Resource
Apart from the occasionally this video shows so many acronyms that people use today. While I watched this video I didn't even know some of these existed. Some made me laugh because I would have never even thought to make these up. People today are smart and know how to get themselves out of typing a long sentence just watch for yourself!
References
Baron, N. (2000). Alphabet to email: How written English evolved and where it's heading. New York: Routledge.
Crystal, D. (2008). Txtng: The gr8 db8. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
Hale, C., & Scanlon, J. (1999). Wired style: Principals of English usage in the digital age. New York: Broadway Books.
Lenhart, A., Smith, A., & Macgill, A. R. (2008). Writing, technology, and teens. Washington, DC: Pew Internet and American Life Project. Available:http://pewresearch.org/pubs/808/writing-technology-and-teens
Plester, B., Wood, C., & Bell, V. (2008). Txt msg n school literacy: Does texting and knowledge of text abbreviations adversely affect children's literacy attainment?Literacy, 42(3) 137–144.
(n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffqzajg4keA
I agree with you. This new lingo allows us to save time. All this new technology makes our daily lives just a little bit easier. I would not use the acronyms while having a conversation. I think that would be strange. I think it would put more of an effort to say the letters than simply laugh out loud. (lol)
ReplyDelete