Quote
"The tools of visual, media, and information literacy must be taught in school because they will (or won't be) taught at home." ("A seven power," 2003)
Reaction
I feel that I say this in a lot of my blog posts, but I have never before this class learned about media literacy. It was something that was never brought up in class or at home.. but I feel this is because my teachers had little or no knowledge or how to teach it if they knew anything about it to begin with. My parents know that I am not really one to pick up a newspaper and read it or even sit down and watch the news. I don't feel any need to because I know I won't get the whole story, or even lied to about something. If I wanted to be lied to I would go talk to my little brother. So media literacy was never anything I thought I would need.
But during class when we used this with an activity I found it very informative and I know that it's something I could teach my students and maybe get them involved. I'm not sure there is really anything in the math field that I could use, but if there is just something that catches my eye maybe I could use that. I never thought that you could look at a picture and infer so many things that leaves you wanting to know more.
Related Resource
Click here to view my related resource
My related resource is a lesson plan that involves critical thinking and media literacy. It shows students that they need to use these skills everyday, because they see media messages while watching t.v., listening to the radio, or even just walking down the road.
Citations.
(2003). A seven power lens on 21st century literacy. Retrieved from https://online.fairmontstate.edu/webct/urw/lc15057011.tp0/cobaltMainFrame.dowebct
Henry, L. (n.d.). Critical media literacy:comercial advertising. Retrieved from http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/lesson-plans/critical-media-literacy-commercial-97.html
I agree with you 100%. I was never taught media literacy in school either. I can only imagine how some of my projects would have turned out had this been an option. I want to make sure my students understand the importance of media literacy and how it can help them in their futures.
ReplyDeleteThere is room for critical literacy even in math! Charts and graphs and statistics are often altered to favor a particular bias!
ReplyDeleteMany teachers don't want to teach media literacy, due to the fact that over half of the media is not true. I agree with you there, but maybe we need to teach children how to distinguish real media from fake media. Just for a life skill, if we take media literacy out of the picture. Students will not want to pick up a newspaper at all, even the credible ones.
ReplyDelete