Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Storytelling in the Classroom

Quote


"Creating a digital story taps skills and talents- in art, media production, storytelling, projection development, and so on- that otherwise might be dormant..."

Reaction
  This quote struck me as crazy. I just can't get over how one program can involve all these different skills. We were working on digital story telling in class and I didn't even realize that I was using all these different things. All I knew is that I had no idea what I was doing and just getting confused. But after getting used to it it became more fun and went by really fast. These programs can really help kids learn things in a fun way. This would be a good tool to use in the classroom to help kids understand a certain subject area in something like history or science on a certain subject.
  This article also talked about younger kids using this to do homework assignments. When I was in 6th grade I didn't even know how to use a computer. Getting kids interesting in technology when they are younger is a good way to keep them interested and helping their skills on the computer. With this class we learned that one day most jobs will be on the computer using technology.
  Digital storytelling is a really good thing to learn to use. It just takes a little getting used to. But a very good way to get a point across or to help learn.

Related Resource
  In this video a teacher uses digital story telling in her classroom as not only a requirement but to help her students learn at the same time. She explains how she first got to using digital story telling and how it helps her in the classroom.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with this quote. I feel that when a student creates a digital story they not only learn how to make a story through a video, but they learn how to create. When students have the opportunity to be creative and use their knowledge and skills to make a digital story, I think it will be a great learning experience. When a student is enjoying an activity, while being creative and learning it is very beneficial. The student will be having so much fun they won't even realize they are learning. Digital story telling is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the related resource. It is inspirational when seasoned teachers aren't afraid to try different teaching methods. Digital stories are great for sharing projects with the class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. Digital story telling is such an awesome way to engage our students at an early age since programs like Photostory can be used by nearly anyone that knows how to use a computer!

    ReplyDelete