Thursday, November 3, 2011

Wikipedia Friend Or Foe

Wikipedia Friend Not Foe

Three things I learned...
1) Before class and before reading this article I had no idea that anyone could edit wikipedia. I had no idea that teachers really had that big of a problem with it. When I went to school we were encouraged to use Wikipedia but only for a starting point. I didn't know that schools actually banned this website.

2) I had no idea that Wikipedia is so widespread. I only thought it was for the english speaking nation. But in the article it states that it is in over 90 different languages.

3) Wikipedia is an online encyclopedia.. but there are entries on it that aren't included in the actual encyclopedia.


Two thing that surprised me..
1) I find it amazing how fast information can be put on wikipedia. The Virginia Tech example amazed me. I remember being in school watching the whole thing as it unfolded because where I lived we were all "Hookie Fans." It's just so crazy!

2) Students like us are constantly editing wikipedia to make it a more credible resource to use in papers! As they find information they put it in wikipedia.. I think this is so neat!

Question
 Why are so many teachers against this site? After reading this I don't see why it's so bad.. I actually think its really helpful!

Related Resource
 This link talks about how wikipedia tops the charts in where students plagarize from. This could be the reason so many reachers are against this website. I believe however it's the students fault for being lazy and not understanding plagarizim is bad and that teachers do look on all sites even if they are forbidden to use.

Click here to see my resource

No comments:

Post a Comment