Friday, October 21, 2011

Online Relationships

Quote
"More than 50% of these participants had moved from an internet relationship to a "real life" one. Nearly a quarter became engaged, married or lived together."(Owens, 2009)


Reaction
  I find it so hard to believe that there are people out there meeting the love of their lives online. I couldn't imagine meeting anyone online and having the courage to meet them in person. You never know what you are going to run into, because people can make up things online. They can use different kinds of pictures that may make them look younger.. they could even be serial killers and no one would ever know! I know that they have criminal background checks for free onine, but who is to say this person didn't make up a name? I just find it off that someone could meet and marry a person they met online. 
   I know many friendships are from meeting online but what do you think the actuality of those two people actually meeting are? I have never really noticed how much social media is evolving. How much courage people have to meet someone they really have no idea who they are. I feel that as teachers we need to teach our students how to be careful about who all they become friends with and who all they tell much of their information to. 


Related Resource 


Click here for my resource!


With this resource it shows how people need to watch out for online sex offenders. They are everywhere! People don't realize just how dangerous the online world really is. 


Sources


Online predators-child safety. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.microsoft.com/security/family-safety/predators.aspx


Owens, L. (2009, April 23). Internet & anti-social behavior theory unfounded. Retrieved from https://online.fairmontstate.edu/webct/urw/lc15057011.tp0/cobaltMainFrame.dowebct

1 comment:

  1. Personally I find it hard to believe the abundance of people who use online dating forums. I can't imagine dating this way. I makes think people need to put their computers down and live their lives and they will meet more people. But to each his own... Just not got me. Who am I to judge? I have heard of a lot of successful marriages starting this way.

    ReplyDelete