Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Lets try something different!

Quote


"Unfortunately, most learning institutions find that idea very difficult to swallow. They consider the various forms of nonwritten communication as some type of therapy or art, something that is not relevant to the everyday life of a student. This is wrong."  (Daly, 2004)


Reaction


  I believe that all learning institutions need to find ways to use media in the ways they educate these 21st century students. I agree with this article that the ways we as students are being taught is stuck in the 19th century. Still in some classes I am taking now teachers just sit in front of the class and lecture the whole time. This for me is very boring and on occasion I have trouble staying awake. I want to be taught with tools that in todays world are popular like a computer. I want to do hands on activities that interest me! I know that younger kids probably want the same thing I do and just as I aren't getting them. I feel that when I become a teacher I need to find ways to interest my students and keep them interested. That way they will want to learn and stay awake during class. If we don't interest our students they won't ever learn. They'll be thinking of different things like what that text said before class, or wonder whats going on in the world of Facebook. To keep this from happening teachers need to use different tools that they enjoy using to help them learn. 


Related Resource 


Click here for my related resource!


 In this link I found tips and ideas to teach using films. Movies or even just an activity on the computer can help your students learn... as long as it's interesting. It not only will give you a break from talking and writing on the board, but it will give it's students a break as well. 


Citations


Green, R. (n.d.). Teaching psychology through film, video. Retrieved from http://www.psychologicalscience.org/teaching/tips/tips_0703.cfm


Daly, J. (2004, September 14). Life on the screen: visual literacy in education. Retrieved from https://online.fairmontstate.edu/webct/urw/lc15057011.tp0/cobaltMainFrame.dowebct

4 comments:

  1. I agree change is good; teaching styles are evolving all time. Some teachers don't like change! Most teachers that don't like change need to retire. Sorry, that is just my point of view. As a teacher we need to keep students interested in learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great additional resources! One of my favorite courses in college was a Philosophy and film course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that change is a great thing. We all have to learn to be able to addapt to change as well. All teachers need to be able to teach in a 21st century classroom and be able to teach students in different ways. Human beings are social learners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you said it would give the children a break. I never even though of it this way. I always looked at how we should imply it and to teach it and I liked that alot!

    ReplyDelete