Saturday, August 27, 2011

Technology Take Over

Quote
"Chances are just that good that, in spite of anything you do, little Oliver or Abigail won’t end up a doctor or lawyer — or, indeed, anything else you’ve ever heard of. According to Cathy N. Davidson, co-director of the annual MacArthur Foundation Digital Media and Learning Competitions, fully 65 percent of today’s grade-school kids may end up doing work that hasn’t been invented yet."(Heffernan, 2011)


Reaction     
   
   While reading this article I couldn't believe that the world is going to change so much. Being a twentieth century student I don't realize all that is changing around me. The whole article at times made my jaw drop and completely stunned, but this quote caught me way off guard. The thought that teachers are trying to get children ready for a world that changes as much as it does. I've grown up where everyones thoughts were always the normal teacher, doctor, or vet. But no one has ever said I want a job that hasn't been invented yet. I don't think anyone really realizes that the world is changing as much as it is. That everyday something new is invented and a new job opportunity arises.  
   On the first day of class we watched a video that dealt with this topic. We talked about how technology is going to one day take over the job workforce. That eventually no one will ever have to go to the office and work. All work could be done from anywhere! Even while your on vacation, because eventually offices won't be there. Everything that people do now will eventually be done only on the computer. 
   I don't think people realize that the world changes every second of the day. Even teachers don't know exactly what they need to be preparing their students for. No one can be sure of what the world is going to be like several years from now. I believe that if the world is going to basically be computer orientated that teachers need to be preparing students by using many computer programs to help them learn. Just being out of high school a few years ago I remember no teachers did anything on the computer. We used textbooks, and did everything on paper. Teachers don't know how to use the computer with every day assignments. To get down to it.. teachers just don't know how to educate their students for the world ahead. 


Related Resources 
  This article mentioned that todays students are being prepared for jobs that don't yet exist. Many years from now most work will be done from home on a computer. Students aren't being taught how to use computers in school. They aren't being taught different computer programs or anything. Todays students are used to the computer. At home thats all they do whether it be playing video games or Facebook. Students are becoming bored in school because teachers are teaching in ways that don't excite us. Teachers should be using more computers in their lesson plans, because one day computers is going to be where all our work is going to be. 






References:


Heffernan, V. (2011, August 11). Education needs a digital-age upgrade. The New York Times,


(n.d.). Retrieved from http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/4c6ae7f27f8b9ac366c60200-400-300/computer-work.jpg



1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with you about the change the world is making! I feel the same way you do about jobs that haven't even been created. How are we, as teachers, supposed to teach these kids to achieve something great without the proper tools. How are we supposed to teach them about a future we aren't even sure about? Wow, thoughts to ponder! Thanks for your insight!!

    ReplyDelete